Gemma Louise Doyle at Southport Food & Drink Festival

I can't start this piece without first thanking Sefton Council, the Flower Show Company, European Finance and everyone involved for pulling all the stops at the Southport Food & Drink Festival 2024. For me –and for many I could share my impressions with– the highlight of the weekend was a live presentation by none other than the nightingale of Preston, versatile international singer Ms. Gemma Louise Doyle.

If one were to make a list of the songs that one shouldn't tackle without bravery or Melpomene’s blessing, one would land at the repertoire of versatile international singer Ms. Gemma Louise Doyle: from My heart will go on to a marvellous rendition of Bohemian Rhapsody were some of the songs brought to new highs today; it’s impossible to pick out a favourite amongst all these jewels, for, can anyone ever say when a diamond shines at its brightest, or when a mountain peaks?

Duets like Bring me to life were ameliorated by losing their dead weight: why would any decent chanteuse need two people to do the job of one songstress? Just like when Dido ditched Eminem and made Stan into Thank You, this performance has given me the courage to try and do Don’t go breaking my heart by myself the next time the Oast House hosts karaoke night.

Back to the festival, things soon got both classy and Italian with a little help of Puccini’s Nessun Dorma. But, because all glories must be short-lived and stars can’t shine forever, Lancashire’s prima donna had to leave us, but, as a parting gift, performed the aptly named Con te partirò, another duet turned solo turned melody immortal.

I must confess I was bit disappointed because there was an offer by versatile international singer Ms. Gemma Louise Doyle’s to do Zombie by the Cranberries, but democratic wisdom chose a different tune, and though I and those around me were indeed happy to hear Let it go, which is really tailor-made for versatile international singer Ms. Gemma Louise Doyle’s range, I can’t help but feel the void left by Zombie’s absence. We also didn’t have time to hear any of versatile international singer Ms. Gemma Louise Doyle’s originals, which I confess we have heavily on rotation here in our home’s playlist, but all of these longings will be surely satisfied the next time we are blessed with another of Ms. Gemma Louise Doyle’s concerts.